As I sit here trying to think of an epic opening line to my first ever blog, I find myself pondering over two main questions A) Will this blog achieve anything? And B) Will anyone actually read it?
There is only one way to answer these questions; to have a go and see what happens. Besides, you have already answered the second question for me (thanks for that).
I'm Sam, 22 years old and currently in my final year at University of Portsmouth, UK. I study Quantity Surveying (I'll explain what that is another time) and I love a wide range of things from football, to music, to films, to eating out and so on... I love social networking (twitter: @samhavill) and you will often find me throwing horrible shapes at many sub-standard nightclubs. I'd consider myself a 'normal' 22 year old.
Anyway, enough of all that boring stuff - why am I even writing a blog? Do I think the world will be fascinated or excited by my life? Not really. Do I have verbal diarrhoea which needs another platform in which to express itself? I don't think so!
The truth is, us students live interesting lives and it seems that all too often we are discarded from a society which assumes that because you're not working 40 hours a week, you're not important. We're branded 'tax dodgers' and often described as lazy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to prove anything, I just want to give an honest reflection of the student lifestyle.
This blog will track a hugely exciting year for me personally. Once I've completed my dissertation (still just under half left to do) I'll be graduating, going to Las Vegas and then starting a graduate job in September 200 miles away from home, in Manchester, where I will have to find a new flat, new friends and build a new life.
I want to share these life-changing experiences, as there is no doubt I will need plenty of advice from you along the way.
Most importantly however, I want to be able to look back on this period of my life when I'm older, to re-live the excitement and anticipation of what is to come. Part of me wishes that I had started a blog back in 2008 when I started Uni - I'm sure it would be pretty crazy to look back on now.
The blog is titled 'From Poverty to Prosperity'; obviously I'm not in a state of poverty by definition (although my bank manager may tell you otherwise), I am simply one of thousands of broke students just getting by on tinned food, cheap nights out and the Student Beans website.
Depending on how this goes, I want to continue this blog well into my employment, so you can see the transition from student life into professional life.
I'm hoping the blog will include everything from photo's, funny stories, reviews and general observations on a wide range of topics. Think of it like an extension of twitter, if you will.
Anyway, I think that's about enough as an introduction to the blog, I've got some dissertation stuff to be getting on with and need to make arrangements for the arrival of some VIP's who are coming to my house in the week (I will reveal all in my next blog at some point next week - with photo's!).
Thanks for reading... please give me some feedback on twitter @samhavill, so I know whether to bother doing one of these again.
Sam
Great idea I remembered those days of student life great fun mixed with beer and a bit of work. I hope you continue on as this would be an interesting experiment on personal and financial growth, well written too.
ReplyDeleteThanks Paul! I agree - It is certainly an exciting period, and I have no idea what is going to happen. I'm sure I'll need your advice from time to time!
DeleteAll thanks to Elegant loan firm for helping me secure a loan of $1,000,000.00 USD to establish my Foodstuff supermarket business in different places. I have been looking for financial help for the past four years. But now, I am completely stressed free with all the help of the loan officer Mr Russ Harry. So, I will advise any person who seeks funds to improve his or her business to contact this great firm for help, and it is real and tested. You can reach him through- Email --Elegantloanfirm@Hotmail.com- or Whats-app +393511617486.
ReplyDelete