Tuesday, 15 May 2012

My opinion on relationships at uni...

For this entry, I want to discuss relationships at university, the inevitable difficulties they represent and whether they are really worth it. I have experienced the highs and lows of having a relationship at uni, but am now happier than ever, knowing that the most exciting period in my life is still to come... 

For me, uni is just a stepping stone that will provide me with a qualification to enable me to start a good career and live a fulfilling life. Although I have had a great time in Portsmouth and met some amazing people who I will always keep in touch with, it is not a lifestyle I would like to extend any further than necessary. I can't wait to finish uni and become a contributing member of society, and be in a position where I can do anything I want. 

For young people, surely the most exciting period in your life is the first few years after graduation, where you have the money and freedom to do whatever you want. You'd have a fulfilling job, a more varied social life and you'd meet so many more people. In a relationship, it can be difficult to take full advantage of that freedom, as you are rarely in a position where you can do anything you want. 

I began my (only) serious relationship when I was 15, at a period when everything in life was easy. At that age, life was just turning up for school and spending 6 hours chatting to your mates and having fun, then when you came home you'd mess about for a bit, before going home for dinner at the same time every day. Life was routine, and at that time a relationship was easy.

Once we both turned 18 and started uni, life wasn't so simple. We were no longer living in monotonous routine, but we had complete control over what we did; for the first time in our life we were free. While some of my best memories of that relationship were during the 'uni years', it was obvious that we had both changed from the 15 year olds that fell in love at school and the relationship came to an end. 

If there are people reading this who are about to embark on university life away from their girlfriend/boyfriend, I'd advise them not to have high expectations for their relationships and merely take it a step at a time. Between the ages of 18-22 people grow up so much, and often become completely different people, which is why it is the hardest period to keep a happy relationship going. 

You see some people (often girls) that have one serious relationship, then 4-5 months later are straight into another one (a 'rebound')... these people are often insecure, and only feel happy if they can rely on the constant attention of another person. If I get into a relationship with someone, I want it to be serious and won't be expecting it to end, which is why I can't relate to people who get into new relationships all the time. Surely you can remain single, and still enjoy the 'benefits' of a relationship with different people, without any commitment? 

Of course there are rare instances where people have maintained a happy relationship during the ages of 18-22, but you need to be extremely lucky to meet someone at such a young age and be so compatible that you've survived those testing years. 

Generally, it isn't natural for young people like us to tie ourselves down at a time where we have so much going on. Perhaps people feel insecure if they're single for too long, which is a shame because with a bit of self confidence and a good group of friends and family, the single life can be so much more exciting.

At a time where I've been away from home for so long, I just want to enjoy time with my mates and my family. I've had the relationship experience - which was great - but I prefer not knowing what I'm going to do tomorrow, and being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, with whoever I want. 

As always, find me on Twitter here

Thanks again,

Sam




No comments:

Post a Comment